TaylorCaitlin

TaylorCaitlin

Freud's Mistress - Karen    Mack, Jennifer Kaufman I received this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

I really enjoyed reading this book. Freud is portrayed in exactly the way I imagined he would have been in real life- charismatic, brilliant, egotistical, and completely ignorant about women and relationships. It was very interesting to read about one of the world's most well known psychologists and witness him behave so predictably and stereotypically.

While Freud is one of the major characters, the protagonist of the story is Minna Bernays, Freud's sister-in-law. I found her easy to relate to- as a single unmarried woman struggling to find a purpose and socially acceptable niche in life, and therefore has to bounce back and forth between an unfortunate career as a lady's companion and mooching off her mother and sister. Despite being a sophisticated and well born lady, she has never wanted a husband due to her lifelong feelings for her brother-in-law. She remains a strong and admirable character until the very end.

All in all, this book was an excellent period piece with entertaining glimpses into the lives and times of the Freud household in the late nineteenth century. Even though the story is about Freud, the discussions of his scientific works are brief and easy to follow, making the story enjoyable for readers of all backgrounds.