TaylorCaitlin

TaylorCaitlin

Forever Fae - L.P. Dover I'm very surprised by how many 4 and 5 star reviews this book has, since, in my opinion, it shouldn't even deserve 1. The description of this book sounds interesting for fans of fantasy and romance, which was why I purchased it when it was free on Amazon. What a mistake.

The story is about Calista, a fairy princess of the Summer Court, who is caught in a love triangle between her best friend and guardian, the warrior fae, Merrick, and the prince of the Winter Court, who is also her "destined true love," Ryder. There's also an evil sorcerer who wants to rape Calista and steal her magic powers and a bunch of minor characters that have absolutely no impact on the story whatsoever. Add that to poor editing and an immature writing style and this book is basically a disaster with a pretty cover.

To be more specific, my problems with this book were as follows:

1. The setting of this story in the Summer Court faerie realm and magical forests has so much potential to be fantastical and rich, but there was basically no magic. Calista uses her powers occasionally and there is mention of other creatures, but the fae were not anything like how I prefer to imagine them, instead they were white trash. They dialogue between them includes discussions of picking up chicks, getting laid, and more annoying things I don't even want to hear in real life, let alone read about in a book.

2. This book is not a romance. In some places it is erotica, particularly in the sorcerer's graphic descriptions of how he is going to rape Calista. If that's not disturbing enough, the "love" between Ryder and Calista is a classic "insta-love" with no development or foundation. They see each other from across the room and that's it, they're in love, although it was really more like in lust. It was especially disappointing since the author clearly put a lot of thought into Calista's character and in making her a strong female protagonist so I would hope that a character like her would have some choice and reasoning in whom she falls in love with. And because Ryder was a jerk. He attacks Merrick for no reason, gets insanely jealous for no reason, and acts like a tool for most of the book.

3. Not only was the author's writing juvenile, but she also told the story in first person point of view from alternating view points. This might have worked had it been nicely done, but it was not. There was major and unnecessary repetition of scenes from the different character's points of views, which is just plain annoying.

There's probably much more about this book that bothered me, but these were the highlights. I will not be recommending this book for anyone except to recommend they don't read it. I can only think the people that loved this book have never read anything else- and to them I say, please go visit your local library, if you thought this was a good book you'll be amazed by what you find there.