TaylorCaitlin

TaylorCaitlin

The Distant Hours - Kate Morton I'm not sure I can explain how much I truly enjoyed reading this book without selling it short. It took me a very long time to read, not only because school started and I've been busy working, but also because Kate Morton's prose is so beautiful and extravagant that I treated every sentence like a bite of hot fudge sundae, spending extra time savoring and digesting. The story starts off rather slowly, with the entrance of Edie, the narrator, divulging into her relationship with her mother, Meredith, and setting the stage of the Blythe sisters, who undoubtedly steal the show. Set half in flashbacks and half in present tense, the life stories of Juniper, Saffie, Percy, Edie, Meredith, and even the castle itself are captivating and intriguing. The mystery of Edie trying to unveil the sisters' closely guarded secrets of their famous father's past and their own loves and losses kept me at the edge of my seat to see how she used what she learned of the sisters to understand her own mother's upbringing as a London evacuee at Milderhurst Castle during WWII. This beautiful tale is one that I know I will be reading over and over again!.